Re: [Shop-talk] Sawzall blades

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sawzall blades
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:50:09 +0100
Pat Horne wrote:
> Nick,
>
> I have used these blades on lumber and they work fine. A few points
> though.
>
> Since you are looking at a set of blades, are you going to need them
> in the future, or is this about all you plan on cutting? It will be
> cheaper to just buy a couple blades individually.
>
> When I cut this kind of material I use a 8 " or 12" blade, something
> that is not in the set. You may not want to or not be able to  get the
> saw right against the root.
>
> If you find that the saw gets stuck, you can always cut out a notch
> like you would with an axe to give you more clearance.
>
> Last time I pulled a 12" stump we cut as many of the roots as
> possible, then called a wrecker to pull the stump out. It had a large
> tap root that we couldn't get to with any saw or axe.

Pat,

I was looking at the set as a tester for various jobs as well as the
tree roots. Since the Sawzall type saw is not much used on this side of
the pond it's a case of finding out what it can do. They're mostly seen
on TV shows like "Scrapheap Challenge".

Karl mentioned the Dewalt blades so I'll probably look at them too, in
the 8 and 12 inch lengths you recommend.

Nick