Re: [Shop-talk] Sawzall blades

To: "'nick brearley'" <nick@landform.co.uk>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Sawzall blades
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:22:26 -0500
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=ameritech.net; b=U9ebvOE1yHho+OGYSqG2MGTZs3QyMziiOcyoKgO1mygnZLXDweUIe47N/d5orGIaoh+7LJWP8C6CiRwix0vylH0OS5ybOtPWUCftdlcufm0Yp05n6YvVeVn3mj4qSa0XRh6SEEgyrsOgfp1TouE9+kTC9rmL3somSk0JlouGBqI= ; s=s1024; t=1345468955; bh=Yk1U2XcZtu9UygkW7vY7Uw3ZyiKEeKA6DjLWHxnP50k=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Reply-To:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Mailer:Thread-Index:Content-Language; b=lfcwMYN6aFfD12JTzfEz7oYDJPsf73QikEYKJyHfBPa+DDnc8fr56uDwTC+RZONaSXjHFtFOodL4oBRK6DtSzSWUY8AlocDZeH+EYOSTx4kfA/4i9TO0Y62RDewqNEnBUbtWea5UzuuPWhzlhIyMvh+eZOc5xq8kHl3A9GV1L8A= ExBlwe3pK5l0TxX.rdi7cxJMrTCCZ8uMxdsfqNmsyLxiNCmCar5mIgqc4Xsj e_o2wbs3Abzs8dOeLvjfz3Zc9_6f8_..NIjoWDang_69A3mSrPZkWzRrn7td d2Af1gXJ.sd8A7vZMEhvJNgt2sQQmTRNLfROhOuB6rHkBLqtGmXhSjlRJ7n. Fpzp8SEswe1l7cUZ0tGhmm2P37Qaz.j0Y9Gxr9s7l_cg5sFqeYbWsAnHoxbG uF6sbemdcYpBop26FrOT7Ex4IpzYrh6LLLS1HO.hjiJQN2daaBCoP.q.FkCn yzAMui3AzMNYGThOpAwPqcy2JdumgYzrIoXm0apfV0k11j.0GKlBx3Us6F9O 0.XivUs346MfRjNcB6nMwUOca1QFJJKpjKcSP0X1j.U0RuUuZe6PA15EcsUM ocf_o7Nicg2E3zG1NnyE_CZaKKP9c5nHGXABGxAJG4fyAataPE3GLjQgQz_e bdLOnGCHUFvTyNnfQkf8-
I've cut lots of roots up to maybe 6", with my Sawzall, often just plunging
it down in the dirt.  I've had great luck with DeWalt blades.  Certain
Milwaukee blades (the Torch and Axe are among them) have worked well for me,
but many other Milwaukee blades have been short-lived, dulling or even
spitting teeth within a few minutes' use, and all Milwaukee blades are
expensive.

I've abused the heck out of DeWalt blades, binding them up and bending them
into pretzels while hot.  Let the blade cool a bit, roughly bend it back to
shape, and the blade seems to have a memory - with a few pushes this way and
that they're usually perfectly straight.  Cutting into dirt (especially our
very sandy soil) is gritty and tough on blades, but again the DeWalt blades
hold up longer than any others I've tried.

I do love my Milwaukee Sawzall, even if I'm not a fan of their blades.
Sometimes when we were cutting those roots the saw got too hot to hold even
with the rubber skin on the nose.  I'd give it half an hour to cool off and
the job (well, I also used an axe...).  Anyway, after 15 years of
mistreatment it still works good as new, though it looks pretty used.
Karl