[Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change

Subject: [Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change
From: kvacek at ameritech.net (Karl Vacek)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:16:05 -0500
John - phenomenal mileage on those Chrysler minivan transmissions.
Especially the A-604 Mitsubishi-designed 4-speed electronic automatic.

We ordered a new 1989 Grand Caravan, the third and last car I've ever bought
new.  Mitsubishi V-6 and a Chrysler-built, Mitsubishi-designed 4-speed
electronic overdrive automatic transmission - the soon-to-be infamous A-604.
First transmission gave symptoms within 36 hours of purchase, but when I
took it to the dealer all I got was "No Defect Noted At This Time".  2 weeks
later it stranded me 30 miles away.  Dealer installed a new transmission.  A
year later, about 12,000 miles, the transmission became scrap on the
Interstate at -20F, an hour into a planned 19-day Christmas vacation.  It
had been in the dealership that afternoon for service and to check recalls.
Too bad they missed the recall for the transmission cooler shunt, which
probably would have prevented that failure.  The dealer where it was towed
when it died told me his store sold about 15 Caravans per year, but he had 7
in the shop for transmission overhauls at that time.  In fact, when the tow
truck driver dropped us at a motel after the van died, there was another tow
truck with a 1989 Voyager dropping off another transmission-stranded family
at the same time.  That went on for a total of 5 transmission replacements
or overhauls, the last one being at 72,000 miles.  The engine was also
burning oil and smoking badly again by then.  That was just beyond the
70,000-mile powertrain warrantee, but given the service history (besides 4
prior transmission replacements or overhauls. I'd also had a set of head
gaskets and then a full set of heads and finally an engine overhaul)
Chrysler agreed to replace the transmission one more time and install a new
short block.

That last transmission started going bad a little over a year later, and the
new engine was using lots of oil and beginning to smoke.  Sold the vehicle
cheap with 89,000 miles.

Karl

PS - The "Lemon Law" in Illinois didn't apply, since I didn't have enough
trouble within a short enough time.  I think it would be covered today.

>Well, the Chrysler mini van has people with over 200K mi on their xmission.
Unfortunately, I've not had that type of luck:

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net