[Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change

Subject: [Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change
From: kvacek at ameritech.net (Karl Vacek)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:57:38 -0500
FWIW...
I don't do automatic transmissions, so I was very lucky to find a
scrupulously honest and incredibly knowledgeable transmission shop owner 20
years ago.  He now has 28 bays, an equal amount of space for doing bench
overhauls for fleets, and they now manufacture their own torque converters
as well, after problems with their long-time converter supplier.  He's owned
the business nearly 40 years, having started working there as a high school
kid.  He's in the shop all day; he and one other 30-year employee do
virtually all the diagnosis, and he still works on the occasional tricky job
himself.  He knows transmissions of all kinds.

He owns 2 automatic transmission flushing machines, but won't use them on
customer's cars any more.  He says that the introduction of 100% new fluid
to an old, usually neglected transmission is too often more than the old
seals can take, and major leaks often arise soon after a complete flush.
Further, he says that some settled stuff that wasn't previously a problem
can be dissolved loose and get back into circulation during a power flush
with all fresh fluid.  His take is that the amount changed with a standard
transmission service is completely adequate and far safer, particularly for
older transmissions.  He also doesn't believe in switching to synthetic
fluid except as part of a full overhaul, for the same reasons.

Their standard transmission service is the usual - clean the pan and replace
the filter, accompanied by a valve body removal, cleaning, and inspection if
there were any symptoms or lots of stuff in the pan.  Then button it back
up, refill, and road test.

YMMV.
Karl