[Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change

Subject: [Shop-talk] Auto xmission fluid change
From: fishplate at gmail.com (Jeff Scarbrough)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:10:14 -0400
On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM, John T. Blair <jblair1948 at cox.net> wrote:
> I'd say it should be changed, but how.  I know a lot of the sites
> like for
> Voyager van's say to pull the line from the cooler start engine and try to
> keep
> pouring fluid in as fast as it is coming out.  I sure don't like that.

I've done that with my old Volvo.  Disconnect the line and run it into
a bucket.  Crank the car and let it run...when the fluid slows down,
shut it off and pour more in.  Repeat a couple of times.

>  Also
> if you
> just change the fluid by dropping the xmission pan, you change less than
20%
> of the fluid.

Not sure about the 20% - I'd guess it's more, though maybe not more
than half.  But that's what I usually do - gives me a chance to change
the filter too.

Some manufacturers say you never need to change the fluid at all.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.