[Shop-talk] reinforcing roof joists

Subject: [Shop-talk] reinforcing roof joists
From: jamesf at groupwbench.org (Jim Franklin)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:46:50 -0400
2 pieces like doubled up? Or two pieces like cut in the middle and plated
together? If the latter, I'd be skeptical. The former, you're probably ok with
150 pounds per.

Can you test hang from one of them? If so, then you can use that as a guide to
how much each can hold.

jim

On Mar 18, 2012, at 7:20 PM, Tim wrote:

> Ok, I have standard trusses up there, 20ish feet long, joined by those
rectangular plates that are perforated for nailing purposes. I am pretty sure
this garage was a kit from Menards. The horizontal 2x4s are two pieces.

> If I spread the load out over four or five rows of trusses, will they
support the weight? Is there any reinforcement I can do either way?