[Shop-talk] reinforcing roof joists

Subject: [Shop-talk] reinforcing roof joists
From: fishplate at gmail.com (Jeff Scarbrough)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:11:05 -0400
On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Tim <tputland at charter.net> wrote:
> If I spread the load out over four or five rows of trusses, will they
> support the weight? Is there any reinforcement I can do either way?

Probably - and probably.  Since I don't have to stamp my plans, here's
what I'd do:  I'd put a pair of 2x4s on edge, nailed together, on each
side of the body; use them to support the load for as little time as
possible.

For added security, you could sister the joists...add another 2x4
alongside the existing ones in the truss, nailed securely, for each
truss that is carrying the added load.  If you wanted to go completely
nuts, you could sister the web members in critical places, so it's all
hanging from the rafters, which are probably single pieces meeting at
the ridge.  Just be sure not to add so much wood that the only load it
can support is itself...

When I built my garage, I specified 2x10 on 16" centers for my joists.
 Probably overkill.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.