[Shop-talk] reinforcing roof joists

Subject: [Shop-talk] reinforcing roof joists
From: Bob at texmog.com (Bob Nogueira)
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 21:51:07 -0500
When I built my garage I drilled a one inch hole at the top of four of the
rafters. I placed two one inch steel bar through two of the holes parallel to
the roof. From the ends of these bars I hung a chain with all four of the
chains meeting and joined together at the joists.
I've use this to pull engines, lift cars and unload stuff from my pickup. This
splits the load among four rafter (2x6's).

Bob Nogueira

On Mar 17, 2012, at 10:45 AM, Jim Franklin <jamesf at groupwbench.org> wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Tim wrote:
>
>> A qustion for engineers here maybe?
>>
>> I want to hang a Datsun Roadster car body from the joists above my shop
>> and garage space so I can start working on a frame in the shop.
>>
>> The joists are approx 2' apart and made of 2x4s. The roof is a 4 12
>> pitch. The car body might weigh as much as 700 pounds but I have yet to
>> get an accurate answer. (I thought I had read at one point that the body
>> weighed between 400 and 500 pounds.)
>

> It's important to get some terminology straight before answering this.
Rafters