[Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Can steel cable be welded?
From: fishplate at gmail.com (Jeff Scarbrough)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 07:48:50 -0500
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM,  <eric at megageek.com> wrote:
>  But my solution it to make a
> small loop with the cable, push the loop through a nut, then place a small
> nail in the loop to prevent it from pulling back out.

I'm not sure how good of an idea that would be.  The cable in question
is part of a critical system, especially in a car with a
single-cylinder brake system.  When you have your service brake fail,
the usefulness of a competent, dependable emergency brake cannot be
overstated.

Passing the cable through a nut would, in my opinion, put a sharp kink
in it, especially bad when you pull it tight against sharp threads
every time you use it.  The specially-made cable shortener posted
elsewhere in this thread is a much better alternative.  Best of all,
though, would be to find a shop that can swage a new end on the cable.
 A good general machine shop or full-service FLAPS should be able to
get you going.

Jeff Scarbrough
Chief Safety Officer
Corrosion Acres, Ga.