[Shop-talk] MY DISHWASHER IS A RUMBLIN

Subject: [Shop-talk] MY DISHWASHER IS A RUMBLIN
From: elans4 at cox.net (Mullen)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 13:18:45 -0500
John T. Blair wrote:

> I've had similar problems especially with the toilets.  I
> quieted it by cutting back the flow with the shut off value.

If you are suffering "water hammer" effects - the hammering of the pipes
after you shut off a faucet, that is easy to fix.  It's caused by the air
chamber(s) in the system becoming filled with water.  The cure is to turn
off you water, open all the faucets, etc. and let all the water drain out of
the pipes.  Then turn off everything, and turn the water back on.  Then go
around and open each faucets in turn until the air is expelled and you have
water flowing again.

This process drains the water that has filled the air chamber(s) and allowed
the air to be trapped in them again.  Now there is chambers in the pipes
that can absorb the "air hammering" by compressing the air.

As for the dishwasher problem, I agree with the others, it's probably the
fill valve.  They are relatively easy to change, and really hard to mess up.
I'd give replacing it a try (I done it myself).

Tim Mullen