[Shop-talk] Portable air tanks?

Subject: [Shop-talk] Portable air tanks?
From: arvidj at visi.com (Arvid Jedlicka)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:39:14 -0600
I've only taken two off and both were a PITA. The two issues were very
related.

The first is that both valves were put on by a gorilla. Not sure what the
torque specs are on it but it either looks like phone number or they have a
very big bulk purchase agreement with the Loctite people. Very possibly
both.

The second issue I had was difficulty getting any kind of wrench or tool on
the valve. It seemed like the "handle-guard-whatever you call it" on the top
of the tank was very effective at protecting the valve -- to the point of it
getting in the way no matter what tool I used.

I eventually got both of them off but it was a real "how can something that
should be so simple be so difficult" 45 minutes. And of course any thoughts
related to "heat it and it will loosen up" -- my usual remedy for such
situations -- were out of the question.

Just my experience and I am assuming most everyone else has a much easier
time of it,
Arvid