Re: [Shop-talk] Portable air tanks?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Portable air tanks?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:38:15 -0800
> I remember seeing this discussed, and I seem to recall that unscrewing
> the original valve is a challenge -- any actual experience?

Not quite experience, but I once had the local propane dealer replace a
valve. The tank was clamped into a hinged metal claw sort of thing, and held
there by a log chain and chain binder.  As I recall, he used a wrench that
was clearly purpose-made and had a handle about 4 feet long.  And he still
had to put his back into it to get the valve to turn.

I have a different local dealer now, but they quoted me around $20 the other
day for replacing the valve.  Might be worth asking if yours would just
remove the old valve and hand you back the pieces for $5 or so.

-- Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums