[Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316

Subject: [Shop-talk] ODBII trouble code P0316
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:45:17 -0700
Agreed.  Any sort of miss or stumble and the coil gets replaced because it's an
easy job and people don't want--or don't
know how--to diagnose ignition problems.  Also, fancy 'sports coils' get
installed with little or no improvement to the
engine's performance (and maybe worse performance if the rest of the system
isn't upgraded).

But, COPs are definitely causing problems in a lot of cars.  'P303',' I
believe, is a miss in #3 cylinder.  I'd replace
that one and if the problem goes away I'd replace the other coils.  I found a
website where a pro mechanic had a similar
problem to my dad's and did a very thorough diagnostic with modern computerized
equipment.  He found a bad coil would
cause a voltage spike on the primary ignition wiring which caused the ECM to
shut down.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net