Re: [Shop-talk] Construction opinion poll

To: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Construction opinion poll
From: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:42:01 -0400
On Aug 13, 2010, at 11:47 PM, Jim Franklin wrote:

> Having a disagreement with someone and thought I'd solicit opinions.

Thanks for all your answers. The client is an ex with otherworldly tastes and
methodologies. I built a cabinet to stand the ravages of time, children and
Romans. Painstakingly true to the 1/32nd". And the first thing she says after
sliding it into the nook, "Why are there gaps? I wanted a built-in."  It never
occurred to me that anyone would build a non-square cabinet. Shelves wouldn't
adjust, things would slide down the gaps behind them, etc. This is why they
invented trim molding and caulk.

This is an 85 year old New England house with plaster walls. Nothing is
square, there are no studs where there should be, etc. (There are *loose
bricks* in the walls. Early 1900s sound damping?)

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums