Re: [Shop-talk] Construction opinion poll

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Construction opinion poll
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:09:03 -0500
  Jim,

I've done both, depending on the situation.

First of all, I assume that this is for your home. If it is for someone
else, do what they want after explaining and possibly building a mock up
of their way, and possibly yours.

Second, how far is it out of square/plumb? I built kitchen cabinets in
my house with the lower cabinets level and shimmed the kick to fit the
floor. The upper cabinets were another matter. Over the 10' run the
ceiling was out of level by almost 2". I set the bottoms to be level,
and the top to match the ceiling, then made the doors to fit, with the
top of each door at a slight angle to match the ceiling. You can't tell
that they are not level.

I also had a built in shelving unit at the end of a opening between the
kitchen and hallway. You could see it from the front door, across the
living room.  Problem was that the walls were not plumb, making the
shelving look crooked. I built a picture frame to go around the shelves
that was installed to match the walls, with the top and bottom level.
Could hardly tell that there was a problem. The walls were out of plumb
by about 3/4".

Thusly spake Jim Franklin, On 8/13/2010 10:47 PM: