Re: [Shop-talk] HVAC question

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HVAC question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:34:16 -0700
>  If the indoor coil
> is an old, low efficiency model, attaching it to a modern (well,
> moderner, but already obsolete) high-efficiency compressor will result
> in *lower capacity and efficiency* than if it were the old
> low-efficiency compressor.

Care to expand on that concept, David?  Remember the indoor unit is already
oversized, so intended to handle more refrigerant flow than the old,
inefficient compressor/condenser could produce.

AFAIK, a "high efficiency" compressor/condenser mostly produces more
refrigerant flow for the same power input ... are there other differences
I'm not aware of ?

And again, perhaps I'm out of date, but to my mind, changing a compressor is
a few $100, while a new system is several $1000.  The EPA claims the
"average household" will only save $48/year by going from SEER 10 to SEER
13, meaning it will take a LONG time for a new system to pay for itself
solely in energy saving.

And who knows?  Our government in it's infinite wisdom just might realize
that "ozone depletion" by CFCs is a hoax (though I don't think it's likely).

Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums