Re: [Shop-talk] HVAC question

To: "'Shop Talk List'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HVAC question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 13:58:16 -0700
> Anyone know much about current HVAC?  The heat pup at our
> "shop"  [ok - it's really the office] has a bum compressor in
> the outside unit, and the unit is mis-matched.  It's 1.5 ton,
> and the inside air handler and coil are 2.0- ton.  seems like
> a whole new outside unit would be the way to go.

Why?  Using an oversize evaporator & air handler should not be a problem,
and will actually be slightly more efficient overall.  Of course you'll only
get 1.5 tons of cooling, so the real question is whether that is enough for
your situation.  Think of it as a 45hp motor in your VW bug, instead of a 60
<G>

>  He says replacement
> compressors are available, but the age and condition of the
> unit makes this inadvisable.

Again, why?   Basically everything that wears out (compressor, fan, etc) can
be replaced.  Unless the coils are damaged, you should be able to keep it
going nearly forever.

> Is this for real?  I thought the stuff wan't completely
> banned until 2020.

Not even totally banned then, only not allowed to manufacture new
refrigerant.  Existing supplies can continue to be recycled until they leak
away.

>  Is R-22 equipment really unavailable for
> service jobs?

That I don't know, been out of touch for too long.

Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums