Re: [Shop-talk] HVAC question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] HVAC question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:28:04 -0700
> The compressor wants 50F at the evaporator, and the
> evaporator's size rating is for operation at 40F.

With a 2 ton compressor.  With the lower flow from a 1.5 ton, it will run
warmer than that.

> Suction pressure falls (often below what the older, lower pressure evap
was designed
> for)

If the suction pressure falls below 40F, you're going to see icing big time.
Not likely with an oversize evaporator.

> Reliability goes down, as
> you're likely to have excessive head pressure as well,

Don't see how, with an oversize evaporator.

> And the manufacturer will tell
> you to take a flying leap on a warranty claim, because you're not
> running a system they approve of.

There is that.

> How much you save depends entirely on climate, the building (a
> building with good insulation and low sun load is easier to keep cool.

Sure, but the _average_ is only $48.

> And he's got a system that is apparently old, and is certainly
> obsolete.

That would apply to most of the things in my life, including me!
<G>

> Since it's as much a hoax as, oh, gravity, not likely.

Gravity is exactly the reason why it's a hoax!  CFC molecules are WAY
heavier than air.  Finding them in the ozone layer (on top of the
atmosphere) is about as likely as finding sand floating on the ocean.  And
there aren't any beaches up there.

BTW, you can look it up.  The "hole in the ozone" started going away just as
soon as the sunspot cycle picked back up.  Likely it was always there over
the poles during any of the periodic lulls in sunspot activity (strong
radiation is what creates the ozone in the first place) and we just weren't
monitoring it.

Randall

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums