Re: [Shop-talk] trucks a/c

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trucks a/c
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:07:20 -0400
At 09:21 AM 5/27/2010, Tim wrote:

 >I have a 96 S10 with about 171k miles on the 4.6 litre Vortec V6 (a
great motor
 >IMO). I haven't had to do much to it beyond basic repairs with the
exception of
 >a/c work. Because I can't handle the heat,.....

 >A couple days ago I was told the system is charged, pressurized and not
 >leaking. And it was cooling down to 68 degrees; not too bad a temp but when
 >the truck was "younger", the a/c used to get so cold as to almost
be painful (I
 >say almost as I love the cold and where shorts year 'round here in southern
 >WI).

Tim,

A couple of point not mentioned by others:

1. Most AC systems (auto, and home) only say they will give 20 below ambiant.
     So if you hit 90, then 70 is about right.

2. Do you have the air system in recirc (max) or vented?  If not in
recirculate,
     the you are mixing ambient with the cold air and decreasing the temp. drop
     you can get.

3. How big is you S10.  Did they only make that in a standard truck
cap, 1 seat?
     I too am very  susceptiable to the heat.  Over 75, I sweat just
sitting around.
     It's not uncommon for me to be outside working in shorts and T
shirt in 40
     deg weather.  I have a 95 Voyager van with factory 134a.  During the
     summer, typically in the 90s, I get in the van and am hot.  Turn
the AC on
     Max and still die.  Maybe by the time I get to where I'm going
I've started to
     cool off.  I've had the system checked several times.

4.  Is the 68 deg in the cabin or in the air vents.  The plenum temp should get
      down to about 40, but the cabin temp will be in the 60s due to head load
      from the roof, and glass.

John