Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: "Nolan" <opposumking@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 06:32:27 -0500
> Again, EVER?YONE of those cars has an "OFF" position between "ON" and
> "LOCKED" - it's required by federal regulations.
>
> The key positions are "LOCKED", "OFF", "RUN", "START".

ACC or accessory.  Some cars have that, and it can be on either side of the
locked position.  Jeep has it:
ACC, LOCKED, OFF, RUN START, while Volvo has LOCKED, ACC, OFF, RUN, START.

And that only applies to those vehicles with conventional keys.  It does not
apply to cars that start without the use of an ignition key.

Some vehicles are remarkably difficult to seperate OFF from LOCKED.  The
Jeeps for example probably wins a prize for this.  With Locked at 10:00, Off
at 10:30 (and no detent), and Run sweeps from 10:30 to 2:00.  Even in the
shop I have to be very deliberate to make sure I actually get the key into
the off position, and not lock.