Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: "Mullen, Tim (IS)" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:34:14 -0600
John wrote:

> Well the new - post '74ish cars with ignition keys aren't a
> whole hell-of-a lot better.  Try going around a curve and
> shutting off the key.  I don't like the idea that the
> steering column locks in the turned position.  Or visa versa.

Again, EVER?YONE of those cars has an "OFF" position between "ON" and
"LOCKED" - it's required by federal regulations.

The key positions are "LOCKED", "OFF", "RUN", "START".

It's just that most people are used to automatically, turning the key
form "ON" through to "LOCKED" in one motion.

Like I've also said, my Ranger even has a lever that has to be pushed to
move it from "OFF" to "LOCKED", but even that becomes an automatic
reflex.

If you ever get a stuck throttle - without panicking - gently turn the
key on click and one click only - turn off you automatic reflex to go to
"LOCKED".

Try it on the road sometime.  You can even try it the next time you turn
off your car in the driveway (although the engine will quit turning over
because the car isn't moving so you will have no power steering).  As a
matter of fact, everyone should make it a habit of turning off the
engine as a two stop process.  As actually do it all the time, but
simply because I want to leave the radio on for a moment to finish
listening to the song that's playing and on all my cars, the "ON"
position leaves the radio playing - the old "Accessory position").

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA