Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: Team shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 08:19:16 -0800
> I have a 2001 Ford Explorer.  It has over 158,k miles on it.  I'm still
> waiting for the first repair.  In that time, its..

Let's see here...I've bought exactly one Ford product new, a '91 Taurus
SHO.  It had any number of problems in its first 50K miles, but the
worst issue was the absolute impossibility of finding a Ford dealer
around here who could do competent warranty repairs, to the point that
Ford Motor Company was laid under a spousal interdict for the following
decade or so.

I have no doubt Ford probably did a better job on vehicles they built
400K a year of, than ones they did 12K/yr, though really only the clutch
release bearing was something unique to the SHO.  The rest were things
like sloppy seat tracks, radio volume control failure, cracked HVAC
buttons, etc. on parts common to lots of Fords of the era.  And, of
course, the paint.

It was unforgiveable for one dealer to give me back the car having
failed to fix what felt like a loose steering intermediate-shaft
pinch-bolt telling me 'Oh, they're all like that' (it was what I thought
it was, I did that one myself) and for the next dealer to need three
trips and a visit from the zone rep to get approval to replace a leaky
AC compressor.

Admittedly, I never encountered a Ford dealership service department
that was a bunch of outright crooks, like the service shop of a now
long-gone multi-brand dealership where we bought our '92 Saab.  That car
had an entertaining set of electrical glitches but was otherwise pretty
solid.

John.