Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Toyota Pedal Brouhaha
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:43:40 -0800
> Well the new - post '74ish cars with ignition keys aren't a
> whole hell-of-a lot better.
> Try going around a curve and shutting off the key.  I don't
> like the idea that the steering column locks in the turned
> position.  Or visa versa.

The mechanism varies, but most cars have an interlock that hopefully
prevents locking the column accidentally.  On the wife's older Toyota, for
example, you can turn the key to the 'off' position without doing anything
else, but in order to lock the column (and remove the key), you have to
press and hold a lever.

On my 95 Buick, you can't lock the column unless the gear selector is in
'Park' (but you can kill the engine by turning the key).

Hmm, I wonder, do newer cars also let the ECU control power to the ignition?
I'll bet they do, at least to some extent.  And it definitely controls the
injectors.  Both are probably required for emissions reasons, to avoid
pumping unburned fuel out the exhaust every time the engine is shut off.

-- Randall