Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes

To: eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 00:34:01 -0400
Here is some interesting (well, not THAT interesting) reading for you:
(I live in NY.  Haven't found the NJ equivalent yet.)

https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/engineering/design/dqab/hdm/chapter-10/roadside-safety/mailboxes

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/1000/1700/1702/moh.pdf

It is not clear to me just what the laws actually are on this, but
immovable mailboxes are certainly discouraged.  This seems to be more
the domain of the relevant highway department than the post
office.  And they seem equally concerned about other things in their
right of way, so I don't know if your guard rail idea would meet with
their approval either.  And then there could always be a liability
issue.  I always used the 4x4 post with the arm sticking out, like
sold in Home Depot and elsewhere.  I found that the plow would always
break the arm holding the box off from the post from the twisting
action.  I made my own in more of a "T" style, with the box mounted
so it is centered over the post.  I have found this much more able to
withstand the blast of snow from the plow.  If the plow actually
drives over the thing, the plow is going to win.  And this doesn't do
anything to thwart vandals with nothing better to do.  As for the box
itself, I just use a cheap one and keep a spare one on hand.  Six
screws and it is replaced.  Buy another spare next trip to the
store.  Of course this strategy works if it is a once a year
thing.  If it happens every other day, you'll have to come up with a
different plan.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net