Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:53:34 -0400
eric@megageek.com wrote:
> I have a question about mailbox posts.  Does anyone know if there is a
> requirement for your mailbox to "break away" if a car hits it?
>
> Here is my problem, in my rural area of NJ, we get lots of wet snow.  The
> plow drivers are off season NASCAR drivers practicing their time trials as
> they plow.

Growing up I had a neighbor who had his mailbox take out regularly by
the plow.  Town said tough luck.  He was a well driller so he set up his
rig and bored into the bedrock.  He then insert an old drilling shaft
into hole and set is mail box on top.  It was hit by the plow only once
after that.

Peter T.