Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mailbox to end all mailboxes
From: "Matt" <mbarre@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:26:24 GMT
When I lived in Mobile, AL it seemed the "hot thing to do" for the HS kids was
tumping over brick mailboxes.  It seemes the typical construction was to pour
a failr small concrete base and then just run the brick on it.  They
apparently were not that hard to tump into the street.
I sunk several pieces of rebar through the core and bored into the ground
before filling it with concrete.  No way they were gonna tip that - then I
considered the car impact issue.
I searched but couldn't find anything about mail box spec except for min/max
height and distance from the curb - all based on it being reachable by the
mail person.  If you think about it, how would you measure the frangiblity?
Some of those a pretty massive and incorporate planters, etc.  Some
neighborhoods have pretty massive brick entrances, they aren't break-away.
I recall that one of the neighbors had a beautiful, somewhat intricate stacked
stone mail box that looked pretty fragile...  He surrounded it with some
serious posts about 3' high that would have done a number on any encroaching
cars.
Looking forward to your pix!
Matt