Re: [Shop-talk] Water softeners - wrong link the first time!

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Water softeners - wrong link the first time!
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:56:43 -0600
Brad,

I've known folks who have sold the magnetic water softener systems, and
they swear by them. Testing does not show that there is any change in
the water, but they claim that it is on the molecular level, which I
can't see.

I saw an ad for a company that sells an electronic softener that wraps a
wire around the outside of the pipe, no coil since the wire is only
hooked up on one end. I can't see how that would do anything useful either.

As far as the catalytic means of converting a particular component, I
can't say, that is not my field.

I am quite skeptical of any "new" technology that is a large departure
from the norm. If, after research, they appear to be on the up and up,
I'll consider trying it if I have an overwhelming need.

Here in Central Texas we have very hard water also. Glassware has spots
that won't come off, sink faucets get really cruddy and are a bitch to
clean, etc. I haven't looked to see what the offending material is, buy
probably should. We use a standard water softener and are pleased with it.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Brad Kahler, On 2/12/2009 9:06 AM:
Pat, I'm leary of the process as well and snake oil may be an apt
description.B  Thats why I posted to the shop-talk list, hoping someone
might
have tried it and could give an honest review of the process and how
well it
works or doesn't work.
At our house the water is hard enough that the soaps aren't breaking down
properly and we get a greasy gooy mess in the drain pipes, spots on the
stainless sink, etc.B One way or another I'm going to have to condition
the water.B Thanks,
Brad

--
---
Pat Horne                              512.797.7501