Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors
From: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 09:40:00 -0600
Doug,

Have you tried cleaning the condenser coils? I have a Sub Zero also and
that has been the main reason for poor cooling. I also once had the
problem of the defrost timer not working, which caused the compressors
to not turn on at all, but if you are getting cooling at all, that would
not be the problem.

It seems to me that just having shut off valves on the schraeder valve
would not keep all the freon in the system because some of it will fill
the hose(s), especially when you bleed them to get the air out. Any
freon that makes it past the valve will be lost to the system, so you
might want to add some back in, even if the gauges show a proper charge
on the system.

As for the escaping freon when disconnecting the hoses, I just press the
hose into contact with the schraeder valve and unscrew the hose nut.
When it is loose, I lift the hose off the fitting and the schraeder
valve seals right away. The only thing that vents is the freon in the hose.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Doug Braun, On 1/8/2009 8:38 AM:

--
---
Pat Horne                              512.797.7501