Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:16:23 -0500
At 08:10 PM 1/7/2009, Randall wrote:

 >No idea what model it was (that was some 35 years ago), but the electronic
 >detector I bought was so sensitive that it would pick up the residual Freon
 >left in the air after repairing a leak. ....

My friends electronic detector works pretty well also.  It's always
found leaks we
couldn't pin point with the bubbles.  Once we found an area to concentrate on,
we could usually find the leak with the bubbles.  I remember one time on my
taurus, the leak was behind a clamp on the 2 pipes on the manifold on back of
the compressor.  We couldn't find anything with the bubbles.  But the leak
detector about where the leak was.  We finally pulled the fan, and the clamps
and then the bubbles found the leaks.

I've always been impressed with his leak detector.  I know the obvious thing
he is to go to his place and use his equipment, which I might just continue to
do.  But he's in his mid 70s.  So I don't know how much longer he's going to
want to crawl around the cars working on the ACs. :)

Thanks to everyone for their replys, ideas, and input.  I may just break down
and get one of the HF units and play with it.

John
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic