Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:14:03 -0600
35 years ago I started working on car air conditioning, and installed air in
my house the next year.  Only had my gauges, vacuum pump (just an old
hermetic compressor), and soap solution.  Always worked fine - no problems.
Once I borrowed a halon torch.  It didn't indicate anything till I bled off
enough Freon to hear the leak.  Back to the soap.  A few years back I
decided to upgrade to modern technology and bought a used TIF 5600 halogen
detector.  Again, it only detects gross leaks - no matter what they claim
about molecules-per-day levels.  Sent it in for service and they said it was
fine.  Back to the soap.  Works great.

I've been using Nylog the last few years, a type of o-ring sealant made from
refrigerant oil.  Might be like shark repellent in Lake Michigan, but I
haven't had any leaks.

YMMV

Good luck !
Karl

PS - Wanna buy my TIF leak detector ?  I bet it's a far better-made piece
than Horrible Freight sells.