Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors

To: "Doug Braun" <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Freon Leak detectors
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 10:28:04 -0500
On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here's another freon-related question:
>
> My house has a 25-year-old built-in Sub-Zero refrigerator that is cooling
> poorly.  Unfortunately Sub-Zero service people charge a lot, and new units are

At 25 years old, there's no reason to call the sub zero people.  There
are any number of independents who can work on them.

> Any advice would be very welcome.  I do not want to have to pay somebody
> several hundred dollars per year to keep the refrigerator going, and I really
> do not want to pay $6000+ for a new one.  Every refrigerator sold in the size
> I need (24x48") is just as expensive.

It's possible to replace the coils (probably what's leaking) and
compressor.  That's a lot less than a new one, but still a big chunk
of cash.  On the other hand, a new fridge will use a quarter the
electricity (really!) yours does.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com