Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:16:08 -0800
Bill Engle Sr wrote:
> None of those need engine transplants.
<snip>
> If you want to swap a motor, do it with a 240SX or a 280Z or M3, or
> something like that.

The big four in the 240SX is not a very nice piece, and the LS1-family
motors seem to fit very nicely in the things.   LS1-into-S14 swaps are
common (and there's quite a cottage industry in LS1-into-RX7 too, it
fits really well, friend just picked up a gen2 RX7 turbo roller for an
SBF-into-RX7 swap for near-nothing...)

The big inline-six in the 280Z is a nice period piece, but it gets
awfully high-strung if you're trying to dig serious HP out.  There's
lots of swaps into the old Zs out there, and it's a pretty car, but it's
a pretty weak structure by present-day standards.

M3 engine swaps are pretty common and I think getting more so as E36M3s
age and need engine work; typically it's putting an S50US/S52US (240HP
US E36M3) S50/S52 (320HP Euro E36M3) or S54 (340HP E46M3) small six into
an E30M3, or an S52/S54 into a US E36M3 to replace the S50US/S52US.
There's a few LS1 swaps out there, it fits and it weighs no more than
the six, but the exhaust, etc. clearances are a tad fussy.

John.