Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Engine swaps; 350 SBC donor cars.
From: "John Innis" <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:26:37 -0600
Normally I am a purist.  In most cases, I'd say if you want an SBC,
buy a car that came with an SBC and drive that.  But the 80's vintage
Jag V12 is where I draw the line.  I helped a friend repair his after
an engine fire that was caused by faulty electronics ( I'm not really
sure if it was the Lucas bits of the Bosch bits that went south, there
wasn't much left).  Only to have the thing spin a main on him less
than a month after we got it back on the road.  I hate to say bad
things about the company that brought us the 4.2 L Series II E-Type,
but I hate the 5.3 HE motor.   So if you want SBC or LS1, I'd say go
for it.

My personal preference is the LS1, as it is lighter and makes better
power on the useless gasoline available these days.  My favorite is
the 350HP version that was available on the RAM AIR Firebirds and
Camaros.   Harder to come by, but you could always clone one.  Might
not meet the cost cirteria, but this is an area where you can start
basic and add go-fast parts later if you decide you want to.