Re: [Shop-talk] 110vac outlet question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 110vac outlet question
From: "Paul and Mary Thicke" <pmthicke@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:20:34 -0600
Since you do not have that fourth wire, which is a ground wire from the
house to the barn,  I would say that you should tie the neutral and the
ground together in the barn panel.  This will connect your ground wires out
there through the neutral to house panel where the neutral and ground are
also tied together.  This is seen a lot on the out buildings on farms.  I
believe that this is considered a separate service and one requirement is
that there is no other metal connection between the two buildings such as a
water or phone line.  I think that this been changed in the latest NEC and
four wires are now required at every outbuilding.  As far as the ground rod
or Ufer at the barn, A ground rod out there will provide some level of
lightning and transient protection, but does not necessarily protect against
shocks or short circuits.  If you rely on only the ground rod out there for
your grounding, The breaker may not even trip if there is a short to ground
because the ground rod can have too much resistance to the earth and the
amperage will not come up enough to trip the breaker.  It might be best to
ask your local electrical inspector about this as they sometimes have
different rules for the out building ground rods.

Paul