Re: [Shop-talk] 110vac outlet question

To: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] 110vac outlet question
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 22:17:57 -0500
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 9:32 PM, Karl Vacek <kvacek@ameritech.net> wrote:

> By the way - the Wikipedia article states "If Ufer grounding alone was
> enough, the manufacturers of ground rods would go out of business. But a
> Ufer ground alone it is not adequate."  It goes on to note that the NEC
> requires a regular grounding rod.

The wikipedia article says no such thing.  One of the sites they link
to does.  However, NEC ground rods suck in much of the country (they
work fine in most of the midwest, where you (and I) are.)  Put me
somewhere dry, and I'll take a badly built Ufer system over a dozen
ground rods.  One good piece of rebar in the concrete is better
grounded than the rods are.

I'm not at all convinced the OP's problem is a bad ground.  I suspect
he's got a fault.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com