Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] xmas lights that don't suck?
From: "scottmryan@netzero.net" <scottmryan@netzero.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:04:22 GMT
 >> An led is a light emitting diode, so I think it will light >> for one half
of the cycle when AC is applied to it.>The fact that only half of them go out
would seem to support that theory.>What I don't understand is why you want to
pull out one lamp.  Those LEDs>should be good for upwards of 50,000 hours,
which is some 30 years if you>run them for two months continuously each year.
By that time you can just>throw the whole string away.>Randalloperative word
here is 'should' last 50k to 100k hours; these are usually chinese LEDs, and
they usually run them at thier upper end (current) of what they can handle,
and the LEDs from china are very inconsistant (at least they were last year)
so sometimes one goes out.
The better LED lights have a circuit that smooths out the pulses from AC to
light continuously, although the christmas LED strings I bought this year are
indeed only lit 1/2 cycle.

Scott R