Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welders

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welders
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:30:16 -0500
Thanks everyone for
the great advice!  Based on what I have seen here, I will probably go
with the Hobart 140.  My choices are not unlimited, as I am planning on
using AmEx points to make the purchase. Thanks to a ton of business
travel, I have a lot of them and AmEx is currently offering me
30% off on things I buy with points (they must have decided that I have
too many), and Northern Industrial Tools is one of the suppliers I can
shop with.   I have two more weeks to decide, but will probably make my
choice in the next few days.  The  125 Amp Handler with the gas
conversion kit would run me around $310 in points, but the 140 includes
the gas kit and would only be $50 more.  I lose the ability to use any
15amp circuit, as recommended by Rex, but that isn't a problem in my
garage and I'm inclined to go with the more powerful one 'just in
case'.

Any thoughts on this before I pull the trigger?

(BTW:
I agree completely with Rex.  I love to weld and was really
disappointed when my welding class was over.  I will probably start
asking my friends and neighbors if they have any projects for me.)

Thanks again, Jim