[Shop-talk] MIG Welders

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] MIG Welders
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:06:23 -0500
I am getting ready to buy a new MIG Welder and have some questions of the
group.  To date, I have only used two types of welders: the professional ones
at the welding class I took a few years ago and a very cheap flux core welder
(hi/low and slow/fast switches) that a neighbor gave me.  Whatever I buy will
only be used occasionally.  I want it for light auto repair/restoration and
for home projects.

So, on to my questions.  First, is getting a 220V one worth the loss of
versatility?  I have 100 amp 220 service in my garage where most of my welding
would be done, but this would certainly limit my ability to take it anywhere.
Am I better off just going with a decent 110V model?  Something like a 140 Amp
Hobart Handler
(http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073
_200306073)?

Second, how much better will something like the Hobart be with flux core wire
than the cheapo one I have now?  Stated differently, do I really need to go to
the trouble of renting a gas cylinder for my occasional use?  It seems a shame
to go to the expense of renting something that is going to sit unused 350 days
a year.  I know shielding gas will give me a much cleaner weld (and also know
what a crap job my current unit does).  Will I be unhappy with flux core
regardless of how much I spend on the welder?

Finally, shopping around I notice that Northern Industrial sells units under
their own name.  Their 135 amp model
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332691_
200332691) has similar specs to the Hobart, but is $100 less.  Does anyone
know anything about this?  Is the Hobart worth the difference?

As always, thanks in advance!

Jim