Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG welders
From: "Rex Burkheimer" <burkheimer@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:06:45 -0500
--
Rex B
Ft Worth TX

Jim,
     My needs an usage are almost entirely like yours. I have had 3
low-end 110V welders from Century, Sears, and now Firepower. I have
been happy with all 4, but this Firepower (div of Thermadyne, also
makes Victor torches) welds a little better. Or maybe I'm just getting
more skillful.
    Yesterday I welded some angle iron to 1/4 wall steel tubing, then
welded casters to the same stuff. Worked great, took no time.  I was
looking around the shop for something else needed welding, it was that
pleasurable.
    I would suggest you get the highest amp in a 110V you can get. I
looked at the Hobart Handler 140 before a bargain came up on this
Firepower FP120. Be sure it will work in a 15-amp basic circuit.  Like
you, I wanted the portability.  Get a cart for it, and get an
auto-dark helmet.
    As for gas, get the small bottle and buy it, don't rent. Be aware
that almost all bottles are used and retested every to years. There is
a date code on them. You want that has recently been tested, as the
retest will cost more than the bottle,  Then you exchange it before
the code expires. Just don't be caught with an expired bottle.
   The gas will last quite a long time if you remember to always close
the valves.
   The only advantage to flux-core wire that I know of is if  you are
welding outside and it's windy. Wind can blow the shielding gas away
from the weld pool.  It also makes it more portable, but some welders
have a built-in bottle caddy so you can grab and go.
    Make sure the welder you buy includes the gas kit. Some offer it
as an extra-cost accessory. And some gas kits don't have a gauge,
which you want.
   I think duty cycle may be a good indicator of how well-built the
internals are. 100% means the machine can weld non-stop without
overheating.
   All mine have plastic feed parts. Hasn't been a problem, but I'd
pay more for metal. Just because.

That's about all I know on the subject.  Good luck.

Rex B

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:06:23 -0500
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>

I am getting ready to buy a new MIG Welder and have some questions of the
group.  To date, I have only used two types of welders: the professional ones
at the welding class I took a few years ago and a very cheap flux core welder
(hi/low and slow/fast switches) that a neighbor gave me.  Whatever I buy will
only be used occasionally.  I want it for light auto repair/restoration and
for home projects.

So, on to my questions.  First, is getting a 220V one worth the loss of
versatility?  I have 100 amp 220 service in my garage where most of my welding
would be done, but this would certainly limit my ability to take it anywhere.
Am I better off just going with a decent 110V model?  Something like a 140 Amp
Hobart Handler
(http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073
_200306073)?

Second, how much better will something like the Hobart be with flux core wire
than the cheapo one I have now?  Stated differently, do I really need to go to
the trouble of renting a gas cylinder for my occasional use?  It seems a shame
to go to the expense of renting something that is going to sit unused 350 days
a year.  I know shielding gas will give me a much cleaner weld (and also know
what a crap job my current unit does).  Will I be unhappy with flux core
regardless of how much I spend on the welder?