Re: [Shop-talk] MIG Welders

To: "E.A. Driver" <edriver@sasktel.net>, "Jim Stone"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] MIG Welders
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:50:00 -0500
Actually, Hobart was an old welding-machine manufacturer bought by Miller
about 10 years ago (as I recall).  Miller now tends to sell similar models
as Hobart, ofter with a feature or two left off from the Miller model.

If you want to start a Lincoln vs Miller spitting contest, take a look at
the plastic inside the wire-handling section of the Lincoln, then look at
the metal used in same places in the Miller.

That said, you'll have a better machine with a name-brand model, and at
least Hobart/Miller/Lincoln will be able to sell you parts in 10 years.
Maybe you can adapt available parts for liners and guns, but internal
machine parts are difficult to substitute.

If you can save enough and don't mind throwing it away when it inevitably
breaks and you can't buy parts, the cheap model might be an accceptable
choice.  For me, it's not an option.  I don't believe that "you get what you
pay for", but I know that you *never* get *more* than you pay for  ;-)

As far as flux-cored vs gas-shielded, it depends on what you'll be doing.
Flux-cored is just not that good for thin stuff, it spatters, and leaves
residue.  With gas shielding the welds are more smooth and consistent,
spatter less, and stay cleaner.  If you're doing only heavy-material
repairs, flux is OK.  Gas is much nicer overall.

Karl