Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 04:53:46 -0500
> I've seen 40 amp panels before, in ancient buildings (usually coupled
> with knob-and-tube wires).

In the late 1940's - early 1950's, many houses around here were built with
knob-and-tube wiring because of the steel shortages from WWII and then the
Korean War.  I've done some rehabs from that era and was amazed the first
time I found knob-and-tube wiring in such a "new" house.

And standard service was 30-amp around here, with upgraded service being
60-amp.  2 or 4 fuses typical.

My house was moved, gutted, and rehabbed in 1951 and it did get steel
conduit, but the ductwork is aluminum because aluminum was in greater supply
than steel.  BTW - you don't want aluminum ducts - they're noisy due to
thermal expansion and they oil-can like crazy as well.

Karl