Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 10:28:32 -0700
 The house I am moving into in August has a 40amp panel  (yes 40, I had
never seen one either) with 4 fuses, running my Skilsaw when the fridge
kicked in blew the fuse.  Garage is on a 10amp fuse with a single light
bulb in it.  The other 3 fuses are 15 amp, one for the kitchen, one for
the living room and one bedroom and then the last one for the 2 bedrooms
and 2 bathrooms. I was surprised you can still buy glass fuses.  I
wonder what will happen when my daughter and my wife run their
blowdriers at the same time :)   Hell, I wonder if I can even run a
computer...

 Can you guess what my absolute very first project is going to be ?
going to run a 100amp subpanel to the garage and oh yeah, I forgot,
upgrade the house too.  I really like this idea of 2 20amp circuits in
the kitchen, have to look into that and see if I can or maybe its
required.  Since new code requires me to move the main to a area visible
from the street, I am going to have the main panel and garage sub-panel
run by a pro with permits, etc.  But I was going to do the rest myself
over time (very short time, no pun intended).

2 different electricians I spoke to said a 200amp main would be good
enough, I had asked for a 300 since 100 is going to the garage.  So not
sure what I will have yet but sometimes I am very surprised the house
has not burned down yet.

    mike