[Shop-talk] stair treads

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: [Shop-talk] stair treads
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:54:55 -0700 (PDT)
OK, this isn't *strictly* about a shop, but it's about the deck
outside the garage that could some day be my shop. In particular,
the stairs that lead up to and away from the deck outside the
garage that could some day be my shop.

Ahem.

We have this redwood deck, with about four steps leading up to it
and 11 steps up from the main deck to the second floor. The stair
treads are also redwood, either a section of 2x12 or two of 2x6,
about 30" wide (I think the four steps are wider).

When it snows, as it does in the winter, the snow builds up on the
steps and permeates the wood, which then freezes - so even after you
clear the snow, the steps are slick. Salt isn't very good for
the wood :-)

We're getting ready to redo the deck surface. I'd really like to find
alternate stair treads. Expanded metal is attractive from a functional
standpoint, but pre-made ones are about $60 each! I'd be happy to find
some fibreglass or composite ones, but have not managed to.

Does anyone have other ideas I might try?

Thanks,
chris