Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen

To: "John Miller" <jem@milleredp.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electrical fire waiting to happen
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 13:07:12 -0400
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:58 AM, John Miller <jem@milleredp.com> wrote:
>> Code for kitchens currently requires two separate 20 amp circuits for
>> small appliances.  It's considered good practice to make sure that
>> everything won't be plugged into just one of them; that's sometimes
>> done by alternating outlets.  It's a good practice to have the 'fridge
>> on a circuit of it's own; most places that doesn't need to be GFCI.
>> (The NEC changes substantially for kitchens in every revision, what's
>> required in your house depends a lot on when it was wired.)
>
> And the local authorities seem to stick their noses further into kitchen
> wiring than just about anything else, based on my limited experience.

Well, the kitchen is the highest density of electrical consumption in
most houses.  (most of the people on this list probably have shops
that give kitchens a run for their money.)  There are lots of ways to
electrocute yourself, or set the house on fire.

I used to live in a house that had a single 15 amp circuit for the
kitchen.    You had to unplug the fridge to use the microwave, because
if the compressor came on, the breaker would  blow.  The toaster had
to be in the dining room.
That made two 20-amp circuits seem like a very good idea....

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com