Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:23:19 -0400
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 08:37:42AM -0700, Randall wrote:
> Odd as it sounds, a friend of mine used a truck radiator hose to form a
> union for his new pool pump.  Just slid it over the ends of the PVC and
> clamped with radiator hose clamps.

We did the same thing at our old house.  I figured it wouldn't last more than
a season or two from the constant exposure but needed something for a quick
fix.
Darned if it didn't last for years and it was still in good shape when we
sold the place.  No dry rot or exterior cracking or anything.

Another thing to keep in mind is that PVC tends to become brittle if exposed
to UV radiation so it's a good idea for folks with pools and sprinkler systems
to paint the exposed PVC pipes to protect them from the sun.