Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?

To: <scott.hall@comcast.net>, "'shop-talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:37:42 -0700
> Or I see a box of 5 compression unions on eBay :

Forgot to add, I really like the compression unions IF you've got enough
room for them.  They tolerate a small amount of angular misalignment, as
well as several inches along-axis.

But you'll need a foot or more of straight pipe to install them, somewhat
less if you can move the pipe ends apart to install (or remove) the union.

Odd as it sounds, a friend of mine used a truck radiator hose to form a
union for his new pool pump.  Just slid it over the ends of the PVC and
clamped with radiator hose clamps.  That was maybe 15 years ago, and it
still works fine for him.  Also isolates pump vibration from the rest of the
plumbing, according to him.  I may try something similar, since I have a lot
of trouble with the outlet fitting cracking right at the pump body.

Randall