Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] pvc unions?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 14:59:33 +0000
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>

> You've got the name right, it's a pipe union.  They should be easily
> available in PVC.  I know I've seen them up to 1" or 1.5" on well pump
> installations.  The 2" is somewhat unusual; might need to go to a
> plumbing supply store.

thanks wayne.  home depot and lowes had zip in any size.  saw nothing at ace
either--they seem to be a little bit better.

> There is pipe glue just for ABS.  I forget if it's one that needs a
> "primer", so look for that.  Easily available at Lowes/HD.  Are you sure
> it's ABS?  The glue has to be matched to the plastic.  It also tends to
> be viscous stuff, and won't "wick" down into a crack well, so I don't
> know how well it would work if just brushed on the surface.

I'm not *positive* it's abs--it's a soft-ish black plastic.  I don't know how
to tell for sure what it really is.  I saw the pipe glue at lowes and was going
to try it assuming the plug is abs, but thought I'd ask here first because I
think I've got one shot at this thing.  I don't want to make it unfixable at
all.