Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders

To: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders
From: Donald H Locker <dhlocker@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:12:41 -0400
Hi, Mike.

Trick (if I remember correctly) with MIG is to remember that voltage equates to
penetration.  If you are penetrating too much, drop the voltage back and see if
the process is less like the plasma cutter you mentioned earlier.

I _strongly_ recommend a class of some sort.  I went to Washtenaw Community
College and took a [6-weekend, I think] course in welding for auto restoration
which was worth much more than I paid.  I still need to practice more, but the
class was the best investment I ever made.  Period.

HTH,
Donald.

Mike Rambour wrote:
>    Doug,
>
>  For me yes TIG is easier but it is easier for several reasons.  First,
> I learned to weld with oxy/acet torch and TIG is similar so I am used to
> it.  I went to MIG and failed miserably on sheet metal, could weld all
> day long on thick stuff but sheet metal kept blowing through.

[snip]