Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] resistance (tong type) spot welders
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:12:48 -0400
At 04:32 PM 4/15/2008 -0700, Mike Rambour wrote:

> For me yes TIG is easier but it is easier for several reasons.  First,
>I learned to weld with oxy/acet torch and TIG is similar so I am used to
>it.  I went to MIG and failed miserably on sheet metal, could weld all
>day long on thick stuff but sheet metal kept blowing through....

Mike,

I went to the local community college and took a MIG class.  I've had a
Lincoln SP100 MIG welder for years but wanted to get some help with t
echnique and see if I could learn some new tricks.  However, the welders
we had in class where BIG Hobart units and we were using .043 wire.  Mostly
we did large plate 1/16" and up.  About the end of the class, we did some
sheet metal.  I could NEVER do it, I kept blowing through.  But at home I
don't have any problems.  I think partially because I use a lot thinner
wire (.023) instead of the .043.  The .023 won't sustain as much current,
consiquently less heat.  Yes I can crank my welder up and sit in one spot
and blow holes in the sheet metal, but I can also weld it.

So my point here, is that you may have been using the wrong size wire in
the MIG for the size sheet metal you were trying to weld.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic