Re: [Shop-talk] erratic fuel gauge and a legitimate shop talk

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] erratic fuel gauge and a legitimate shop talk
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 16:01:41 -0800
> Just last week, though, when I started it up, the fuel gauge
> showed empty, the chimes sounded, etc., though I knew I had
> about a = tank. After driving for a bit, the gauge went up to
> = tank again. Next day, there was a repeat of the same performance.

So, check the resistance when it's working, and compare that to when it's
not.

> I would have
> to pump the tank to drain it

I used one of those little Facet fuel pumps, powered by my battery charger,
when I went through this with the wife's Caravan some years ago.  Worked
pretty good, only problem was what to do with the fuel.  I managed to fill
all my other gas tanks, then replace the pump with perhaps 30 pounds of fuel
still in the tank.

> What would you do if you found yourself
> immobilized while under a car in your shop?

Truly immobilized, I would have to wait for someone to come looking for me.
But with just a dislocated knee, I'd probably manage to crawl somewhere to
get help.  Long time ago, I drove myself home in a car with manual shift,
with a dislocated right shoulder.  Had to reach through the steering wheel
with my left hand to shift as my right arm was totally useless (used my left
to lay it in my lap).  Fortunately a column shift; with a floor shift I
might have had to drive home in 2nd gear.

> What precautions
> do you take while working alone in the shop?

I'm still pretty much limited to trying to avoid injury; next time an engine
falls I'll jump back and watch it fall !  But it is nice to once again have
someone that I know will come looking for me within 8-10 hours at the most.

Randall